Movie Shots- How to Train Your Dragon 2

I watched the movie How to Train Your Dragon 2. This movie is a sequel to How to Train Your Dragon, in this movie its been 5 years since Hiccup, the main character, and Toothless, his dragon, united the dragon and Vikings of Berk.  They spend their time exploring the island’s unmapped territories. During one of these adventures, Hiccup and Toothless find a secret cave filled with hundreds of wild dragons and a mysterious dragon rider who ends up being Hiccup’s long lost mother, Valka. The pair then has to battle to protect their home, Berk, from a power-hungry warrior named Drago. 


This is a long shot where Hiccup encounters his mother, Valka, for the first time. He is riding Toothless up high because he is stressed and then a mysterious lady shows us and faces him. This shot has allowed men to see the greater picture and enormity of the sky because the characters: Hiccup, Toothless, Valka and her dragon alll appear to be close to each other, face to face, but yet the big clear sky shows us the truth.  This angle made me feel like I was part of the bigger picture and a strong connection because even though Hiccup didn’t know who it was yet they both acted in a way as if they knew each other and this could be seen through the synchronization of the dragons wings. 

This is a point of view shot that is Toothless’ point of view. He is being controlled by the alpha dragon and  being told to attack and in a way forget Hiccup. However, Hiccup talks to Toothless in a way only he would where Toothless blurry vision to recognize him is cleared. In this shot we can see how Toothless view is still a little bit blurry, but almost clear which means he is recognizing Hiccup and going back to him. This shot made me feel like Toothless and showed me his strong powerful, yet caring side because despite being controlled by the evil dragon his love and connection with Hiccup wins him over and let’s him see Hiccup. We can see this very well in the shot above, the round oval makes it seem like if we were Toothless eyes looking straight at Hiccup. 



This is an over the shoulder and reaction shot because in the beginning of the video we can see what Hiccup is seeing when he discovers a new island. We know this is an over the shoulder shot because we aren’t looking at it from Hiccup’s eyes but from behind him because we can see his shoulder in front of us which signifies its an over he shoulder shot. This shot made me feel a connection and as if I was there with Hiccup and had a feeling of awe. The shot made it seem like I was standing behind Hiccup and actually looking over his shoulder and seeing the new island they discovered. I felt a close connection To Hiccup because I felt like I was there with him and like he was my friend and talking to me (a strong heart warming bond), but I also felt power from this shot. 

This is a head on shot of Hiccup’s father riding his dragon. In this shot Hiccup’s father finds his mask in the water and swoops down to pick it up, but in this shot when he swoops down to pick it up. This scene gave me like a jump scare and made me feel nervous because I got a bit scared when Hiccup’s dad approached the camera at such high speed, but overall it was really cool and filled with action because it made my heart rate go up and I got excited and scared. 



This is follow shot because Hiccup is in battle with Drago and flying on Toothless back and the shot is taken from behind him like if we are there with him and following him in this battle. It made me feel nervous but also gave me an upbeat fast heart racing rhythm because the shot had action and the fast movement of the shot and position made me feel like I was on a roller coaster and going with Hiccup to fight Drago. I could both see and feel Hiccup’s brace and courageous side because he is flying up the back of big alpha dragon. 

This last clip is a full shot that shows us Hiccup’s full body when he discovers the secret cave filled with dragons. The purpose of his full body is to show us his every movement and step he takes when facing the dragons. In this shot I felt power and control because Hiccup looked and knew exactly what he was doing to dominate and control them. 

Comments