Peer Review

Film #11 Peer Reviews

What specific elements of the film opening did you like?

Was there anything that left you confused? (be specific)

What suggestions do you have for changes?

the shots going back and forth between isles

no

there is some giggling in the background. In one shot she has on her mask but the next second she doesn't, you can hear someone say "go" before you walk down the stairs the second time, when your looking at the bottles you can hear there's background talk. Cool concept tho!!! my favorite opener.

I like the long shot in the library (very cinematic)

She woke up in a different location than the one she left in.

I would suggest to add other sounds to block out the directing bits.

The transitions between the camera shots and angles where outstanding. I also enjoyed the symbolism of the book "The Maze" and having the main character be confused about her whereabouts as if she were trapped in the labyrinth. Although the film opener didn't include any soundtrack or background music the camera shots/acting made up for the suspense and mystery. Well done!

One thing that made me a bit confused was when the main character appeared in the middle of nowhere out in the grassy bridge setting. There probably is a deeper meaning to this that I didn't catch on, but it did blend in well with the rest of the film opener. Especially with the ending scene where the main character woke up from what seems like a dream.

Some suggestions I have for changes would be to maybe add some sort of musical sound such as background music and synchronous sound. Also you could have a bit of narration for some of the scenes. Either way this film opener is well on the way to get good marks on the exam.

I really liked the beginning in the library as well as the overall concept. I admire that they used the hallways as part of the maze because it reminds me of my freshman year, being lost in the halls. I like the way that they show the main character disappears. Finally, I like the flickering lights in the closet.

My main complaint, which is that certain dialogue from the camera person was accidentally kept in, this sucked me out the movie. The camera panning in the library felt drawn out as well as a couple other shots. Lastly, the camera angles could have been more dynamic!

I suggest speeding up certain scenes and cutting out dialogue that was accidentally left in. I also suggest more dynamic camera angles, for example, perhaps an over the shoulder angle while the character is exploring.

I really liked the movement through the dictionary to the word Maze, and the sideways dolly shot between the aisles of the school library. The silence was mysterious, and unnerving.

I kind of got what they were trying to get at with the "maze" and walking through the school.

Have some faint music in the background to make it more mysterious, other than that it is really good!

The film story was understandable. The lighting was good too and I liked the shots. It almost looks like it was professionally filmed when they were in the library.

The beginning when they were showing the dictionary and the library scene but other than that, nothing was confusing. I was not sure what they were portraying with those scenes.

I would suggest making the video a little shorter.

The camera angles/ shots are very professional. All the transitions were clean, and it was clear that time was spent making the story cohesive.

- I was not confused, as the overall story was clear. However, why the girl was reading a book outside by the lake was a little bit confusing. How did she get the book back?

- Add sound. The camera person could be heard several times through the film. Perhaps something more suspenseful. Make the genre clear.

To be honest I really enjoyed every aspect of this film, the suspense in the beginning with the transitions in the library, the locked doors, the endless hallways, and then the ending where it was all just a dream.

This film made me confused in a good way, everything was clarified in the end when the audience figures out the entirety of the film was just a dream.

The only changes I could think of would be to add suspenseful music, but other than this the film was very good.

I loved the rolling shot in the library with the bookshelves, showing the girl reading. It was done extremely well and professionally.

I was really confused as to how all the scenes related. The girl began by reading the book, disappeared, got lost, found the book and read it again. By the end, I realized it was all a dream, and I think that the confusion created by the opening was on purpose, to make the cutoff more dramatic.

The clips were really long. The section with the dictionary page in the beginning was far too long, and became a little confusing as to why it was included. Another thing would be to add different sound, as you can hear the filmers discussing what shots to take in the process.


After having read through the peer reviews I have come to the conclusion that our film may have confused our audience a little and some edits should be made to adjust this confusion. Additionally, our film was to long and you could hear Lissa and I's dialogue, so we have to fix the sound and play music in the background. Along with cut some scenes out of our film to make it shorter to fit the time frame and also less confusing. I think they were helpful suggestions :)) 


Lissa and I agreed on completely cutting out the last scene outside, for it confuses the audience and takes up to much time. We also decided to refilm the ending scene in the library to make it more clear as to what happened and the location. Lastly we are going to edit the filters and make our film better along with including music as our sound and cutting our dialogue. 


Comments